Friday, July 3, 2009

The Aspen Institute: My New Home

This week I've traded my bed for a bench in the "Scholar's Lounge" outside Paepcke Auditorium at the Aspen Institute. Despite the hard surface and constant murmurs from people nearby talking about Twitter, Iran and renewable energy, I must say the free food is hard to beat. The hotdogs aren't pathetic pink links wrapped in Wonder Bread, instead the sizeable bratwursts are delicately situated in what looks like foccacia bread. The brownies are rich, the POM drinks are plentiful and the discussion over coffee is almost as good as the fair-trade brew itself.

I've sat in on discussions covering topics such as, why people love music, why water is so scarce in the West, and what can be done about it, one presenter was even working to discover scientific reasons for love and what attracts one person to another. My mind is thoroughly invigorated but my body screams lay down for ONE more nap on the bench...that is, after you snatch one of those rice crispy delicacies.

No comments: