Monday, December 13, 2010

Water, Water, Water. Slurp, Slurp, Slurp.

When I write and research about water sometimes I just get thirsty.

We've been working on this water series for nearly two months and the day has finally arrived. (Literally, it's 3:09 am. In three more hours the first story will play on APR and KDNK).

What has interested me the most in my research on water is how differently people assess Colorado's water situation. Some say we don't have enough, some say we have plenty to move forward into the future.

My general sense from some of the conflicting things I've learned is this: Colorado has enough water for people to drink and bathe. The state does not have enough water for everyone to have huge green lawns into the future. How Colorado residents want their state to look is an integral part of how they manage water. It is up to each individual to do their share if the state as a whole is going to have enough water into the future.

Conservation is key and not just on the Front Range.

Later today I'm going to post sound and put up some of my favorite interviews from my story. I have 20 pages of typed notes just from the five interviews I did on tape. That doesn't count the many more interviews I did for research and background. I think I've become a mini-expert.

And because I feel secure in my water supply (at least for now), I am going to shower when I get up in the morning. I hope you do too!

No comments: