Wednesday, August 12, 2009

High Profile in the High Country

One of the hottest athletes in the world right now, lives in the same neighborhood where I work. Cyclist and 7-time Tour De France winner Lance Armstrong moved to Aspen last year and since then, has created quite a stir locally. Mayor Mick Ireland suggested creating a "Lance Armstrong Livestrong Day," and Armstrong has participated in some local bike races including last weekend's Blast the Mass in Snowmass Village. I find myself looking for Armstrong on the streets of Aspen and reading articles about upcoming races he plans on participating in. I know I'm not alone. The extremely accomplished athlete has seemed to spark an energy in town, unlike most other celebrities who move here. It's likely due to the high concentration of local bicyclists and their love of the sport. I know when I hop on my mountain bike and speed down the single track, I'm practically mimicking Lance...okay, not even close but I will cheer him on at the Leadville 100 this weekend as a hometown guy.

No comments: